Saturday, July 12, 2008

First Dates

I'm actually thinking about going pro in the first date circuit. I have been on 10-15 first dates in the last 9 months, I'm not even kidding. I have two "first date outfits" that I alternate between now (I'm sure you're thinking that these clothes should be pretty worn out by now, but this is something I only thought to do a few months ago), complete with shoes and earrings and hair (I did discover last night, however, that my earrings are MIA). Some of these first dates have led to second dates, but most of them turn out to be first/last dates (at least I'm dating, right?)

This may sound judgmental, but I can tell when I open the front door whether or not this is someone I want to see again. Thus far, they always seem shorter than I imagine (internet dating) or have picked some, uh, less-than-fashion-forward clothes to wear. Before you start thinking that I am a terrible person for making a snap judgement you should know that I continue to look for redeeming qualities while on the date, first impressions speak volumes, but so do actions. I am happy to report that over half of these guys open the door for me every time, which wins points, and usually the conversation isn't too bad. Sadly enough (or maybe not), there usually isn't anything there that makes the date standout or make me want to repeat it. I am sure most of you have had at least one date like that. That said, the date ends and they drop me off home...

Talk about awkward. How do you end a less than stellar date? And, does how you end it really reflect your stance on how it went? In my mind, there are four ways it can play out:

1- A "peace out" wave from the car. I don't think I've ever experienced (though more than once I wish it had). I think that one is pretty easy to interpret, he's not interested.

2- A handshake at the door. This may have happened to me once or twice. I say this could mean one of two things: this guy is polite/cautious and is interested in you OR, this guy is walking you to the door because that's what he has been taught to do and is not interested.

3- A hug at the door. This one has a lot of levels, such as: hand placement (over your arms, under your arms, a mix of either of the previous options), body contact (I think it's safe to say you won't get a call back if it's two pats on the back at arms-length), length of time (a longer hug would purvey interest, no?), etc. I am generally a hugger unless I'm completely disgusted by my date, but I am careful of body contact and the length of the hug if I am not interested.

4- A kiss. I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't done this a time or two (heh heh heh, okay, maybe more often than that but I am trying to cut back). I am quite certain that there is no correct way to interpret a kiss on the first date. It is either interest or hormones.

I won't even go into the lame, piddly conversations that happen at the doorstep. (You know, "I, uh, had a good time" and what do you say when you don't "Let's not do this again."? SERIOUSLY?!?) I forgot I wasn't going into that.

Last night I had a first date and I was walked to the door, then there was the hemming and hawing at the door, and then I got a hug...AND a kiss on the cheek. I walked in the door thinking, "Huh?" I am sorry to say, that I kinda hope this was one of my first/last dates with him (very nice, but not for me). In my analysis (of course I've analyzed it), I think it means he's interested, I'm hoping I'm wrong...

8 comments:

jeffandlorraine said...

Hey Katie,

This post is quite entertaining, and so true. You will have to let me know the next time you make it up to SLC. I have somebody to set you up with!!! He just might be a keeper:)

PEACE, LOVE AND PINK said...

Ha thats funny at least he didn't come pick you up and before you got in the car say never mind. This happened to one of my poor associates (you at least get the free food and movies)!!!

audrey said...

Katie, I spent like 20 mins. on the phone with you and you NEVER mentioned this date. I am hurt. Anyway, I find this post very true and I can relate to many statements made. That is why I quit dating.. not that that is the best option, but you know...

kris said...

Very funny Katie...was this the guy who took you to Carrabas??? If so, at the very least, you had an awesome meal :)

Brigitte said...

HAHAHA!!! Oh man, I do NOT miss the single life! (Hope that wasn't rubbing it in your face or anything...) But seriously I HATED first dates, free food and movie tickets were NOT worth it sometimes. This post nails it!

Brigitte said...

P.S. I really want to set you up with this guy I know... He lives in Phoenix but I just found out he might be moving to Utah. I'll get back to you... ;)

Kat said...

Hilarious- I can totally hear you saying each of these things, and thinking them ;)
so many of the dating experiences we have really are similar, in that getting picked up/dropped off occurs to everyone, the awkwardness of a new person etc- girl girl. good luck with the new school year!

holly said...

katie I love you posts you are so entertaining. I am sooo glad to not be dating but I have to say I am glad I did it and you will be too when you find mr. right. All the bad dates and all the good dates help you to know what you want and dont want in a husband. IT WILL BE WORTH IT!!!!!